Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Real" World

Started my career last month. I am officially introduced as, "Mr. Reyes". Don't laugh. The little people know that I mean business with them. However, my instruments for my music class have not yet arrived. I'm a little anxious... but I know it'll work out. I just want to be prepared for this Thursday, for that's when the students start music.

Teaching elementary school kids is fun. I am challenged to continually come up with various ways to keep the young scholars engaged. What you say and do matter so much because their minds are like sponges that soak every small detail that your body produces. From your mouth moving, the quality of your gaze, defined facial expressions, words coming out of your mouth, gestures that match your words, and even the breath that you take to pause for a moment - EVERY single detail counts.

It's also very interesting how some students would stare at different parts of your body as you teach. Some of them watch your eyes, some of them watch your mouth, and some of them watch your hands. And then I realize that adults talk in various ways combining all these 3 things. A "full" conversation means observing the persons eyes, mouth (words) and hands. All of us can tell a story with just our eyes, and I've yet to meet someone who doesn't tell a story without moving their hands. And we not only try and listen with our ears, but our natural instinct is also to "listen" with our eyes. Most adults know that looking at the person who is talking to you is being polite. Most of the kids, unless talked to on a one on one basis, gives you their eyes (looking at your eyes). During class time, they perhaps give you that attention for only about 15 seconds... but at least their natural instinct is to look at where your instructions (sounds) are coming from (your mouth). "Listening" with our eyes makes non-verbal gestures really powerful. In my opinion, when kids are able to follow directions through non-verbal gestures, that's when they have developed utmost efficiency for their classroom/school procedures.

Anyway, Caroline and I are trying to send out our save-the-date cards, but I've yet to finish e-mailing my relatives from the Philippines for addresses. I wonder if any of them will be able to make it. I doubt it though. It's too expensive to fly nowadays. And it's really hard to try and get a VISA to get into the USA from the Philippines.

But wedding preparations are going well! We're going to be booking the Inn On Broadway on Labor Day, and we already booked our date at the Cathedral!!!

AWESOMENESS.

And Manchester United did well against West Ham. :)

Go life!

No comments: