Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My New Build (PC)

After more than 5 years of service, I've finally decided to give my MacBook a rest. It is now a secondary "work station", as I have put together a new PC. Yes folks, I'm back to using Windows.

Why didn't I just get a new Mac? Simple... it's because I miss handling computer hardware as much as I want to figure out it's software. And PCs give me more freedom to do that. So I decided to build a computer instead of buying a new Mac.

Here are the parts:
- Tower: Antec, Three Hundred Illusion, 4 fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust)
- PSU: Xigmatek, ACXTNRP-PC402, 80 Plus BRONZE certified, 400W (Max)
- Motherboard: Intel, DH67CL, w/ B3 stepping
- CPU: Intel, I3-2105, Dual-core, 3.1 GHz, w/ Intel 3000
- RAM: Crucial, CT2KIT51264BA1339, DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600), 8GB
- HDD: SAMSUNG, HD103SJ, Spinpoint F3, 1TB
- CD/DVD Burner: ASUS, DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
- LCD Screen: Acer, S201HLbd (ET.DS1HP.001), DVI, Wide screen, 20"
- Mouse/Keyboard: Microsoft, 5MH-00001

No speakers yet. Waiting on Logitech's Z-5500, 5.1 system. After I get that, I'll use my Logitech Z-2300 for the new computer, and hook up the new Z-5500 to my TV. It's going to kick ass!

I installed Windows 7, 64-bit version in the system. It took less than 5 minutes. However, updating the OS, and the drivers took about an hour and 20 minutes altogether. Still not bad!

I'm using Intel's integrated graphics through the CPU instead of a dedicated card. At least for now. Will upgrade later (if needed). Caroline and I don't play games on the computer, so this build is more than sufficient for the work the both us do.

I'm happy with this build. Still playing around with it. Trying to get acquainted with Windows 7. It's a decent OS. Apple still makes better Operating Systems, so I'm stuck with Microsoft's "best" (for now). But that's the price I have to pay if I want to mess around with hardware.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how smooth everything went. (:

No comments: